ALL - Academy for Learning and Leading
ACADEMY FOR LEARNING AND LEADING – ALL FOR KEDC!
ALL for KEDC is a new opportunity for member districts that will immerse teams in a model of inquiry- and problem-based learning around a specific locally identified problem of practice related to scaling highly effective teaching and learning practices. Teams committed to the ALL will work to gain knowledge, skills, and behaviors to solve their problem, while participating in a larger learning community/collaborative learning environment that meets face to face 4 times over the course of the 2018-19 school year. Additional coaching/support will be provided between meetings to individual teams via electronic means and/or site visits.
ALL is not a new ‘initiative’ or ‘program,’ rather, it is an opportunity to improve the work a district is already doing. The premise of the Academy is that solving challenging and persistent problems is possible when those who are closest to the problem – and those ultimately who will be responsible for the changes that will address the problem – are the same who discover, and therefore own, the solution. Teams will work individually while also networking to gain different perspectives, explore options, share experiences, and serve as thinking partners.
The learning approach in ALL will be based on the Standards for Professional Learning (developed by Learning Forward, 2011; adopted by KY in 2014), as well as design thinking. In their book Moments of Impact: How to Design Strategic Conversations that Accelerate Change (2014), Chris Ertel and Lisa Kay Solomon note the foundational components of design:
- Developing a deep understanding of and empathy for users and their needs.
- Cycling through periods of divergent thinking to explore diverse sources of inspiration.
- Learning through quick cycles of prototyping, gathering feedback, and making the necessary adaptations.
- Testing solutions with a small group and only scaling up after they have proved effective in meeting the identified needs.
ALL will create a safe and collaborative atmosphere for each team member to grow while supporting strategic and evidence-driven design, implementation, and evaluation of the unique solution(s) each district develops. Finally, the lessons learned and skills and strategies developed through ALL will enhance the capacity of everyone involved to lead more effectively as other problems are addressed.
Interested? GIVE IT A TRY sessions will be offered in Ashland and Lexington.
October 15: Ashland – KEDC – 9:30 to 12:30 pm
October 16: Lexington – KEDC – 9:30 to 12:30 pm
At these sessions, any interested individuals or teams from districts/schools will
- Pursue a common understanding of the purpose and work of the Academy for Learning and Leading.
- Apply elements of design thinking in the analysis of a case study involving a problem of practice in a school setting.
- Review the partnership agreements for participation in the ALL.